Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why I'm Not Buying the New 52

I love comics. This should come as no surprise if you're reading this but I thought I'd get it out of the way. Like any comics fan I read a variety of books from many different publishers. So when I heard that DC would be rebootlaunching, I was excited. I started counting up which of the 52 books I'd be buying. However a funny thing happened while I was totaling up all my purchases: I lost interest. I mean the books sounded cool and I was excited about the creative teams but...something was missing. Ultimately it came down to the fact that I knew these characters and it was too much of an effort to pretend like I was reading them for the first time. Once the regular DCU ended, there was no hook to keep me coming back for the characters or stories. There was no character development to watch with pride, just new world building and I'm sick of that. So the choice comes down to this: do I soldier on and hope that I learn to like the reboot or do I save about $100 a month? For me the answer was simple, I picked the money. I still read reviews and skim through the books when I go to my LCS. I still read the plots on message boards and view scans. I still argue plot points and everything else that comes with being a fan of a character. I just don't buy the books anymore. This doesn't mean that I'm done with DC for good, I'm sure once the money is no longer an issue, I'll pick up a copy of Justice League or Batman. Even now I plan on buying trades, but single issues are out. So while I'm happy for DC and hope that the DCnU goes well, I'm withdrawing from the DC Comics buying game.

No comments:

Post a Comment